Historic Kona Tour
Learn Ancient Hawaiian History
Adult (Age 12+):
Child (Age 4-11):
Infant (Age 3 & under): Free
Step off your cruise and step back in time on this tour of historic Kona. On this cruise ship excursion, we share Kailua-Kona’s history to set the stage for your trip back in time to Puuhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park — an ancient Hawaiian village of refuge for kapu (law) breakers.
We show you a beautiful scenic view overlooking Kealakekua Bay — an underwater preserve where a monument to Captain Cook stands. Here, he sailed in and was received as the god, Lono, yet he proved to be a mere mortal and was slain. Visit the Painted Church, the tiny church Belgian priests painted to be a grand cathedral. Experience history as rich as the brew at the Kona coffee factory we visit as well.
Don’t miss your chance to discover Kona on this Hawaii cruise excursion!
- Puuhonua O Honaunau National Park* – An ancient Hawaiian village of refuge. The Puuhonua protected the kapu breakers, defeated warriors, and civilians during the time of battle.
- Kealakekua Bay (drive-by only) – Captain Cook arrived here in 1779. Historic landmark views include the religious site Hikiau-heiau and Captain Cook’s monument across Kealakekua Bay.
- Benedict’s Painted Church* – Built between 1899 – 1902, Belgian priests painted this church to be a grand cathedral.
- Royal Kona Coffee* – The largest roaster of Kona Coffee in the world. Experience history as rich as the brew at the Kona coffee factory.
* denotes stop made
In Kona, you will tender to the Kona Port. Some of our tours depart early, so please make sure you leave ample time for the tendering process, and if feasible, some ships will issue early tendering tickets to guarantee a seat on the tender. For the convenience of all guests and to make sure the tour returns promptly, we will leave at the departure time on your confirmation.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Lunch is not included.
Our Promise to You:
- We guarantee a full refund of your Roberts Hawaii Shore Excursion purchase if your ship is unable to make port on time or if your scheduled tour is cancelled for any reason.
- We guarantee to return you to your ship before your sailing time. In the extremely unlikely event that you miss your ship due to the late return of one of our tours, we will arrange and pay for your transport to your next port-of-call. In our many years of service, we have never missed a ship departure.
- Tour subject to cancellation if the minimum number of 4 participants is not met.
- Reservations may be cancelled up to 48 hours prior to your first scheduled tour service, for a refund. No-shows and cancellations less than 48 hours in advance are non-refundable. For combo bookings, the scheduled day of service is defined as the day of the first tour in the combo.
Please be advised that tour availability is based on the islands, dates and the ports cruise lines dock at.
Search for Activity Availability by Date
Searching available shore excursions for . . .
Showing Shore Excursions for -