Historic Kona Tour
Ancient Hawaiian History
$79 $69 Adult
$69 $59 Child (Age 4-11)
Step off your cruise and step back in time on this tour of historic Kona. On this cruise ship excursion, we share Kailua-Kona’s history to set the stage for your trip back in time to Puuhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park – an ancient Hawaiian village of refuge for kapu (law) breakers.
We show you a beautiful scenic view overlooking Kealakekua Bay – an underwater preserve and where a monument to Captain Cook stands. Here, he sailed in and was received as the god, Lono, yet he proved to be a mere mortal and was slain. Visit the Painted Church – the tiny church Belgian priests painted to be a grand cathedral. Experience history as rich as the brew at the Kona coffee factory we visit as well.
Don’t miss your chance to discover Kona on this Hawaii cruise excursion!
*Prices shown are for current schedules only and may be subject to change.
* denotes stop made
- Pu’uhonua O Honaunau National Park* An ancient Hawaiian village of refuge. The Pu’uhonua protected the kapu breakers, defeated warriors, as well as civilians during the time of battle.
- Kealakekua Bay (drive by only) – Captain Cook arrived here in 1779. Historical landmark views include the religious site Hikiau-heiau and Captain Cook’s monument across Kealakekua Bay.
- Benedict’s Painted Church* Built between 1899-1902, Belgian priests painted this church to be a grand cathedral.
- Royal Kona Coffee* The largest roaster of Kona Coffee in the world. Experience history as rich as the brew at the Kona coffee factory.
“It was a most interesting day. Our guide was great and so was the coffee.” – Robert, New Zealand
“Stopped at several spots, but two tours were just outstanding. First tour was Puuhonua O Honaunau National Historic Park, a sanctuary of Hawaii’s past, where traditional Hawaiian lifestyle is preserved. This place was peaceful and enjoyed just walking around and viewing the sites. Even saw a sea turtle among the rocky shore. The second tour I loved was the “Painted Church,” overlooking Kealakekua Bay. The inside of the church and the paintings are fabulous. The curator was phenomenal and did a great job explaining the history of the church and its paintings.” –David, Visitor
In Kona, you will tender to the Kona Port. Some of our tours depart early so please make sure you leave ample time for the tendering process and if feasible, some ships will issue early tendering tickets to guarantee a seat on the tender. For the convenience of all guests and to make sure tour returns promptly, we will leave at the departure time on your confirmation.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Lunch is not included.
- To view available tour times, see your personalized Activities Schedule.
Our Promise to You:
- We guarantee a full refund of your Roberts Hawaii Shore Excursion purchase if your ship is unable to make port on time or if your scheduled tour is cancelled for any reason.
- We guarantee to return you to your ship before your sailing time. In the extremely unlikely event that you miss your ship due to the late return of one of our tours, we will arrange and pay for your transport to your next port-of-call. In our many years of service, we have never missed a ship departure.
- Due to limited availability, we require that ADA vehicle reservations be made a minimum of 48 hours prior to date and time of service. Roberts will make all reasonable attempts to accommodate the needs of the disabled traveler.
- For electric wheelchairs or scooters: The combined weight of the wheelchair and guest cannot exceed 500 lbs. and the maximum width of the wheelchair cannot exceed 29 inches.
- Tour subject to cancellation if the minimum number of 4 participants is not met.
- Reservations may be cancelled up to 48 hours prior to your first scheduled tour service, for a refund. No-shows and cancellations less than 48 hours in advance are non-refundable. For combo bookings, the scheduled day of service is defined as the day of the first tour in the combo.
- A 10% service fee is withheld for any cancelled reservation paid by credit card.
Browse Shore Excursions:
680 Iwilei Road, Suite 700
Honolulu, Hawaii 96817