Historic Kona Tour
Ancient Hawaiian History
Step off your cruise and step back in time on this tour of historic Kona. On this cruise ship excursion, we share Kailua-Kona’s history to set the stage for your trip back in time to Puuhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park – an ancient Hawaiian village of refuge for kapu (law) breakers.
We show you a beautiful scenic view overlooking Kealakekua Bay – an underwater preserve and where a monument to Captain Cook stands. Here, he sailed in and was received as the god, Lono, yet he proved to be a mere mortal and was slain. Visit the Painted Church – the tiny church Belgian priests painted to be a grand cathedral. Experience history as rich as the brew at the Kona coffee factory we visit as well.
Don’t miss your chance to discover Kona on this Hawaii cruise excursion!
*Prices shown are for current schedules only and may be subject to change.
* denotes stop made
- Pu’uhonua O Honaunau National Park* An ancient Hawaiian village of refuge. The Pu’uhonua protected the kapu breakers, defeated warriors, as well as civilians during the time of battle.
- Kealakekua Bay (drive by only) – Captain Cook arrived here in 1779. Historical landmark views include the religious site Hikiau-heiau and Captain Cook’s monument across Kealakekua Bay.
- Benedict’s Painted Church* Built between 1899-1902, Belgian priests painted this church to be a grand cathedral.
- Royal Kona Coffee* The largest roaster of Kona Coffee in the world. Experience history as rich as the brew at the Kona coffee factory.
“It was a most interesting day. Our guide was great and so was the coffee.” – Robert, New Zealand
“Stopped at several spots, but two tours were just outstanding. First tour was Puuhonua O Honaunau National Historic Park, a sanctuary of Hawaii’s past, where traditional Hawaiian lifestyle is preserved. This place was peaceful and enjoyed just walking around and viewing the sites. Even saw a sea turtle among the rocky shore. The second tour I loved was the “Painted Church,” overlooking Kealakekua Bay. The inside of the church and the paintings are fabulous. The curator was phenomenal and did a great job explaining the history of the church and its paintings.” –David, Visitor
In Kona, you will tender to the Kona Port. Some of our tours depart early so please make sure you leave ample time for the tendering process and if feasible, some ships will issue early tendering tickets to guarantee a seat on the tender. For the convenience of all guests and to make sure tour returns promptly, we will leave at the departure time on your confirmation.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Lunch is not included.
- To view available tour times, see your personalized Activities Schedule.
- *Tour subject to cancellation if the minimum number of 4 participants is not met.