Waimea Canyon, Wailua River & Grotto Tour
Most Popular Tour!
Explore Waimea Canyon and the Wailua River
This Kauai excursion combines a visit to Waimea Canyon, “the Grand Canyon of the Pacific,” and a scenic ride up the Wailua River to the unique Fern Grotto, where the ferns actually grow upside down.
Your shore excursion begins with a scenic drive up to the unforgettable Waimea Canyon. From your lookout at 3,400 feet, you experience an unsurpassed view of the 2,857-foot deep canyon and the surrounding countryside. The canyon’s size combined with the reds and browns of exposed volcanic rock and the blues and greens of lush tropical vegetation truly create a magnificent sight.
After leaving Waimea Canyon, stop at a lava rock cropping known as the Spouting Horn. It’s a natural saltwater geyser that sprays plumes high into the air when the surf is washed into a lava tube and sucked up through a hole in the coastal rock. The geyser may reach up to 50 feet depending on the surf that day and provides photographers with an added challenge in capturing one of Poipu’s most scenic coastal shots.
Then, proceed to the picturesque Wailua River, the only navigable river in Hawaii, where you board your riverboat for a delightful cruise to the Fern Grotto. The grotto forms a natural amphitheater and provides excellent acoustics for the Hawaiian chorus to serenade you with the Hawaiian Wedding Song. It’s quite the romantic ending to your day exploring Kauai! The pathways at the Fern Grotto may be slippery, so please dress accordingly for this Hawaii cruise excursion.
- Spouting Horn* – One of the most photographed spots on Kauai, with ocean water spraying like a geyser up to 50 feet in the air
- Waimea Canyon* – Known as “the Grand Canyon of the Pacific,” it was carved out by the Waimea River and the collapse of a volcano. The rich colors of the red soil and the lush greenery are a spectacular sight to see.
- Hanapepe Valley Lookout* – A picturesque view of the lush tropical valley that was once a Hawaiian taro farming community, with some of the taro patches still being farmed today
- Queen Victoria’s Profile – Haupu Mountain range offers a profile of the British Queen Victoria.
- Waimea Town – This old seaport was the first landing site of European explorers. Today, it is home to the island’s last sugar plantation and located in the backyard of high tech companies and small businesses.
- Russian Fort Elizabeth – The last Russian Fort on the Hawaiian Islands
- Koloa Town – From some of the oldest buildings in the state to the rich history of Hawaii’s first and successful sugar plantation, discover how this main port of entry was a favorite among the whaling fleet.
- Wailua River Boat Cruise* – Float down a fresh water river while being enchanted by songs and stories of ancient Hawaii.
- Fern Grotto* – Discover the beauty of a tropical rainforest filled with lush native plants.
- Opaekaa Falls Lookout* – A 151-foot waterfall crashing into a hidden pool
* denotes stop made
- Children under the age of 2 are FREE and must be seated on an adult’s lap.
- Lunch is not included. Lunch can be enjoyed aboard the ship and the afternoon tour will resume after lunch.
- The Wailua River Boat Cruise is not ADA accessible.
- Wear walking shoes and dress comfortably.
- To view available tour times, search for the dates you need below.
- Due to circumstances beyond our control (i.e. traffic congestion, inclement weather, etc.) the routing and times are subject to change.
- Due to limited availability, we require that ADA vehicle reservations be made a minimum of 48 hours prior to date and time of service. Roberts will make all reasonable attempts to accommodate the needs of the disabled traveler.
- For electric wheelchairs or scooters: The combined weight of the wheelchair and guest cannot exceed 500 lbs, and the maximum width of the wheelchair cannot exceed 29 inches.
- Not all stops on this tour are ADA accessible.
- Wailua River Boat Cruise is not ADA accessible. Guests unable to walk on their own will need to be assisted by someone in their own party to be carried in/out of the boat.
- Tour subject to cancellation if the minimum number of 6 participants is not met.
- Cancellations made outside of 48 hours from service day is subject to a 10% cancellation fee. Please allow 10-12 working days for refunds to be processed back to your card. Cancellations made less than 48 hours from service day is non-refundable. (100% charge). No shows are subject to full charge.
Please be advised that tour availability is based on the islands, dates and the ports cruise lines dock at.
Search for Activity Availability by Date
Searching available shore excursions for . . .
Showing Shore Excursions for -