Waimea Canyon, Wailua River & Grotto Tour
$129 $99 Adult
$119 $89 Child (2-12)
Waimea Canyon Tour & River Romancing Kauai
This Kauai excursion combines a visit to Waimea Canyon, “The Grand Canyon of the Pacific,” and a scenic ride up the Wailua River to the unique Fern Grotto where the ferns actually grow upside down.
Your shore excursion begins with a scenic drive up to the unforgettable Waimea Canyon. From your lookout at 3,400 feet, you experience an unsurpassed view of the 2,857 foot deep canyon and the surrounding countryside. The canyon’s size combined with the red and browns of exposed volcanic rock and the blues and greens of lush tropical vegetation truly creates a magnificent sight.
After leaving Waimea Canyon, stop at a lava rock cropping known as the “Spouting Horn.” It’s a natural salt water geyser that sprays plumes high into the air when the surf is washed into a lava tube and sucked up through a hole in the coastal rock. The geyser may reach up to as much as 60 feet depending on the surf that day, and provides photographers with an added challenge in capturing one of Poipu’s most scenic coastal shots.
Then, proceed to the picturesque Wailua River, the only navigable river in Hawaii, where you board your river boat for a delightful cruise to the Fern Grotto. The grotto forms a natural amphitheater and provides excellent acoustics for the Hawaiian chorus to serenade you with the Hawaiian Wedding Song. It’s quite the romantic ending to your day exploring Kauai! The pathways at the Fern Grotto may be slippery so please dress accordingly for this Hawaii cruise excursion.
*Prices shown are for current schedules only and may be subject to change.
* denotes stop made
Spouting Horn* One of the most photographed spots on Kauai with ocean water spraying like a geyser up to 50 feet in the air.
Waimea Canyon* Known as the Grand Canyon of the Pacific, was carved out by the Waimea River and the collapse of a volcano. The rich colors of the red soil and the lush greenery are a spectacular site to see.
Hanapepe Valley Lookout* A picturesque view of the lush tropical valley that was once a Hawaiian taro farming community with some of the taro patches still being farmed today.
Queen Victoria’s Profile- Haupu Mountain range offers a profile of the British Queen Victoria.
Waimea Town- This old seaport was the first landing site of European explorers. Today, it is home to the island’s last sugar plantation and located in the backyard of high tech companies and small businesses.
Russian Fort Elizabeth- The last Russian Fort on the Hawaiian Islands.
Koloa Town- From some of the oldest buildings in the state to rich history of Hawaii’s first and successful Sugar Plantation, discover how this main port of entry was a favorite among the whaling fleet.
Wailua River Boat Cruise* Float down a fresh water river while being enchanted by songs and stories of ancient Hawaii.
Fern Grotto* Discover the beauty of a tropical rain forest filled with lush native plants.
Opaeka’a Falls Lookout* A 151 foot waterfall crashing into a hidden pool.
“Excellent tour. The whole experience was wonderful. Tina, the driver and tour guide, was very knowledgeable and easy going. The canyon was amazing. Worth every penny to see this site. One of those places that a picture can’t really show how big it is.”- David, Visitor
“Enjoyed the descriptions by the driver. Very personable and knowledgeable. Hard to describe all of the beauty of the canyon. Took many pictures, but they do not do justice to what we saw.”- Rick, Visitor
“One of my favorite Kaua’i experiences! The river cruise was relaxing. Fern grotto is beautiful. I loved the cultural touch of the hula dancing and singing at the grotto and on the boat ride home!” –Visitor at the Fern Grotto, TripAdvisor
“Take the tour to take you all the way to the fern grotto. The beauty of this place is being in touch with nature. As you walk you may hear the birds chirping. There are many plants that were introduced to the island, with beautiful flowers.” – Visitor from Texas
- Lunch is not included. You will be dropped off to the ship after the Waimea Canyon portion so you can eat on the ship.
- This is a “combo” meaning there are 2 tours. The first tour is the Waimea Canyon, and the second tour is of the Wailua River/Fern Grotto.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- To view available tour times, see your personalized Activities Schedule.
Our Promise to You:
- We guarantee a full refund of your Roberts Hawaii Shore Excursion purchase if your ship is unable to make port on time or if your scheduled tour is cancelled for any reason.
- We guarantee to return you to your ship before your sailing time. In the extremely unlikely event that you miss your ship due to the late return of one of our tours, we will arrange and pay for your transport to your next port-of-call. In our many years of service, we have never missed a ship departure.
- Due to limited availability, we require that ADA vehicle reservations be made a minimum of 48 hours prior to date and time of service. Roberts will make all reasonable attempts to accommodate the needs of the disabled traveler.
- For electric wheelchairs or scooters: The combined weight of the wheelchair and guest cannot exceed 500 lbs, the maximum width of the wheelchair cannot exceed 29 inches.
- Not all stops on this tour are ADA accessible.
- Wailua River Boat Cruise is not ADA accessible. Guests unable to walk on their own will need to be assisted by someone in their own party to be carried in/out of the boat.
- Tour subject to cancellation if the minimum number of 4 participants is not met.
- Reservations may be cancelled up to 48 hours prior to your first scheduled tour service, for a refund. No-shows and cancellations less than 48 hours in advance are non-refundable. For combo bookings, the scheduled day of service is defined as the day of the first tour in the combo.
- A 10% service fee is withheld for any cancelled reservation paid by credit card.
Browse Shore Excursions:
680 Iwilei Road, Suite 700
Honolulu, Hawaii 96817